Minoru 3D Webcam Launches at CES Las Vegas
The award winning webcam that brings 3D video to the consumer is now available for purchase worldwide
CES Las Vegas, January 5th – The eagerly awaited Minoru 3D webcam gets its first public showing, and simultaneous worldwide launch this week.
The British designed 3D webcam has been fascinating people around the world since it was entered into the
i-stage competition run by the Consumer Electronics Association. After winning the Fans Favorite award, and a stand at CES, designer David Holder has been preparing for the launch of the product.
“It’s been a fantastic process to see my design go from drawing board to finished product. There has been tremendous interest in the Minoru 3D Webcam, and I’m excited to finally have products that people can try out, and hopefully buy,” said Holder.
Features of Minoru
The Minoru 3D Webcam is a single piece with two cameras spaced roughly the same distance apart as human eyes, for the stereoscopic effect. This creates an anthropomorphic look that means users tend to look into the eyes of the camera as they light up. The Webcam has a multi-position stand that can sit or stand on a desk, or perch on a
monitor. Viewers wear special coloured glasses to see the 3D image, and five pairs are included.
Minoru means “Reality” in Japanese, and it reflects how users feel about the 3D image. The Minoru can be used with Windows Live Messenger, Skype, AOL instant messenger, OoVoo and other video conferencing packages. The camera can also be used to take still pictures or record 3D video for YouTube. It can also be used as a normal 2D Webcam.
Pricing and availability
In the US the Minoru 3D Webcam will be available from Amazon.com for $89.95. The product is currently available for pre-order, with stock arriving on January 8th. In the UK the Minoru 3D Webcam will be available from Amazon.co.uk, and Firebox.com.
- USB 2.0 High Speed 3D Webcam
- Stereo base – 60 mm
- Output Modes – 3D, 2D, Picture in Picture (PiP), Side by Side (Cross-eyed and Parallel view, 4:3 squashed or 8:3 wide aspect ratio)
- 3D Modes – Optimised Red/Cyan Anaglyph viewed with Red/Cyan 3D Glasses
- Row interlaced mode (suitable for eDimensional shutter glasses)
- Output size – 1280×480(15/30fps), 800×600(15/30fps), 704×288(30fps), 640×480(15/30fps), 640×240(30fps), 352×288(30fps), 320×240(30fps) pixels
- Frame rate – 15 or 30 frames per second, user selectable
- Power consumption < 1.5 W operating mode, <2 mW in standby mode